The people of Shipley Pool

A couple of weeks ago I blogged about setting out on the brilliant Northern Big Board project. I’m now (somehow, how did that actually happen?) two weeks into the process, and most recently spent two exhausting, brilliant, eye-opening days collecting stories from the people of Shipley Pool. I also learnt to do a basic dive off the 5 metre board, and a standing drop pike (I think I made that name up, but it’s something along those lines) with the help of one of Bradford Esprit’s brilliant, brilliant coaches (turns out, by the way, that I TOTALLY LOVE DIVING, and it’s a really satisfying thing to begin to master). It’s tiring but brilliant. I was a bit nervous at the beginning of the process, as it relies so heavily (like others of my previous work – The Smell of Rain… and The Umbrella Project did) on the stories I’m able to collect from members of the public – totally in fact; I don’t know what I will be making, or how the content might work until I’ve spent a couple of weeks talking to people – that it can seem quite daunting. What if people don’t want to talk to me? What if they insist they have nothing to say? What if they feel like I’m invading their space, or taking their stories in a way that’s not OK? Then you get there. And you take a deep breath, smile earnestly and invite the first person to talk to you, and you remember; people are brilliant. Generous, kind, also angry and difficult and driven and busy and shy, but always extraordinary. I came away from Thursday and Friday with 58 audio recordings, and pictures of those who consented to have them taken. Also with the beginnings of some ideas. More, I suspect, later. But for now, here are the faces of a few of those extraordinary people.

images of people who gave stories to Northern Big Board

Share if you like:

Tags: , , , , ,

33 Responses to “The people of Shipley Pool”

1. Foot Pronation August 9, 2015 at 5:28 am #

It’s amazing in favor of me to have a site, which is helpful in favor of my know-how.
    thanks admin

2. Jayson August 21, 2015 at 4:36 pm #

I am now not positive the place you’re getting your information, however good topic.
    I must spend a while learning much more or figuring out more.
    Thanks for wonderful info I was on the lookout for this information for my mission.

3. software like pro tools August 21, 2015 at 10:29 pm #

Appresciate the recommendation. Ԝill trry it oսt.

4. aSerial Box 2015 September 8, 2015 at 10:40 am #

great put up, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector
    do not understand this. You must proceed your
    writing. I am sure, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!

5. beamer September 9, 2015 at 8:40 am #

Wow that was odd. I just wrote an really long
    comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up.

Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to say fantastic blog!

6. build shed foundation on slope September 20, 2015 at 6:52 am #

Commence about 3 feet in front of the doors and fill in with dirt.

7. s3.amazonaws.com September 21, 2015 at 10:57 am #

I developed tinitus about two weeks ago right after a nasty head cold.

8. league football tickets September 29, 2015 at 3:27 pm #

I have read so many articles or reviews concerning the
    blogger lovers but this article is in fact a good piece of writing, keep
    it up.

9. Keesha September 29, 2015 at 11:53 pm #

of course like your web-site however you need to test the spelling on several of your posts.
    Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very bothersome to tell the truth however I will definitely come back
    again.

10. Mabel September 30, 2015 at 6:18 am #

Three things in living are specific: demise, fees, and that Kanye
    West definitely really wants to be taken really while in the trend world.
    6 event during Art Basel Miami Beach, wherever West was a featured speaker

11. home profit system reviews October 1, 2015 at 6:28 am #

Hey there are using WordPress for your site platform?
    I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to
    get started and create my own. Do you need any coding expertise to make your own blog?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

12. I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your
    blogs really nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back in the future.

Cheers

13. ผ้าลูกไม้สวยๆ October 7, 2015 at 2:25 am #

Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
    I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any tips?

14. รับทำ seo October 9, 2015 at 5:41 pm #

My family members every time say that I am wasting my time here at net, however I know I am getting experience all the time by reading
    such pleasant posts.

15. เย็บตาสองชั้น October 9, 2015 at 8:30 pm #

Hello! I know this is somewhat off-topic however I had
    to ask. Does operating a well-established website
    such as yours take a massive amount work?
    I am brand new to running a blog but I do write in my diary everyday.

I’d like to start a blog so I can easily share my experience and thoughts online.
    Please let me know if you have any kind of suggestions or
    tips for new aspiring bloggers. Appreciate it!

16. projects find October 12, 2015 at 11:59 am #

Well I really enjoyed studying it. This information offered by you is very useful for proper
    planning.

17. thyroid October 12, 2015 at 7:11 pm #

Because in it, I will be sharing with you 3 very powerful ways
    for make extra income ideas. I carry at least two
    notebooks around with me, everywhere I go’one for Aikido and one for everything
    else. For that, some research on your part would certainly be required.

18. star academy 5 October 13, 2015 at 1:51 pm #

The internet business blog posts internet business opportunities,how to make money with
    a home based online business,internet marketing,
    online business ideas,internet business models to make money online,
    a top internet business to make money on the internet,how to write an internet business plan and start
    making money online. You can get paid by companies to offer your opinion. Payment is made in cash, coupons,
    merchandise or points that can be redeemed for merchandise.

19. Internet Business Training October 19, 2015 at 3:44 pm #

Hi there, I enjoy reading through your article post. I wanted to write a little comment to support you.

20. lumber mills October 19, 2015 at 10:44 pm #

I’ve been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this blog.
    Thank you, I will try and check back more frequently. How frequently
    you update your website?

21. bbs.600086.com October 22, 2015 at 9:56 pm #

With the liberty to manage their time as needed, enterprise college students might earn precious experience at a job or internship while concurrently incomes
    their degrees.

22. dc243.rackhosting.com October 23, 2015 at 10:18 pm #

I gotta bookmark this internet site it seems invaluable extremely helpful

23. Wiley November 12, 2015 at 12:14 pm #

I am a musician so it is much more for my fans than for promoting.

24. Marilyn November 14, 2015 at 11:58 am #

Holmes and Watson slept well in their Baker Street Lodgings.
    Anime is in simple fact short for animation and individuals are employed
    to phone call it just as anime. Generally, it would not be a hassle to store
    them away.

25. Blood Gate Age of Alchemy Hack November 15, 2015 at 11:17 pm #

I am sure this post has touched all the internet users, its really
    really nice paragraph on building up new blog.

26. Giselle November 22, 2015 at 5:49 am #

Hay que notar, que en todas y cada una estas definiciones de la impotencia,
    no se toma en cuenta las causas de esta disfunción eréctil,
    orgánica sicológica, y que el término « impotencia » puede hacer referencia
    tanto a la ausencia total y habitual de erección, como a las erecciones antojadizas inestables.

27. risas contagiosas de bebes November 25, 2015 at 8:32 am #

Generalmente, entre la mitad y dos tercios de los gags del sofá de cada nueva temporada son nuevos, al paso que el resto son repetidos.

28. Bobby November 27, 2015 at 9:00 am #

It’s going to be finish of mine day, however before end I am reading this impressive piece of writing
    to increase my experience.

29. Falls Ihr mich befragt, dann werde ich jedem wirklich ans Herz legen, Euch komplett mit frischen Bädern zu befassen.
    Wenn man 3 Minuten lang eisig duschen geht bzw. baden geht,
    spürt man selbst einen wahnsinnigen Push im Metabolismus.

Man selbst wird topfit oder läuft über vor Energie.

Mich brachte dies immerzu in Sportbetätigungslaune. Hiermit
    nicht genug, mittels kühler Duschen erweckt man zusätzlich die Transformation von hellem zu braunem Fettgewebe!
    Braunes Fettgewebe zeichnet sich durch existierende Mitochondrien aus, das wiederum heißt, dass die Fettzellen demnach loslegen, Energie zu verbrennen. Schlüsselwort Thermogenese.
    Ein erstrebenswerter Folgeeffekt, stimmts? :-D
    Liebe Grüße
    Erik

30. Gerald December 8, 2015 at 12:17 am #

This is very attention-grabbing, You’re an excessively skilled
    blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to looking for extra of your magnificent post.
    Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks

31. http://cgvsoluciones.com December 10, 2015 at 8:38 am #

Thanks for another informative site. The place else could I get
    that type of information written in such a perfect means?
    I have a undertaking that I am just now running on, and I’ve been at the look out for such information.

32. Buy Flower Bulbs Online Canada December 16, 2015 at 5:11 pm #

The variety of offer codes range frim food
    vouchers, snack vouchers, gift voucher, experience vouchers, restaurant vouchers, mobile phone offers, TV offers and so on. R4ds not only helps you getting the best deals on electronic goods or
    accessories but iif you wamt to enhance your knowledge, you can read on the blogs tthat provide you best information about latest
    gadgets aand upgrade in the world off electronics.
    They have realized that business is no longer limited to the
    stores or a showroom, shopping has become convenient and shoppers have reciprocated
    with the increased dependency on online shopping.

33. genkidz.com December 22, 2015 at 8:32 pm #

excellent issues altogether, you just received a emblem new reader.

What might you recommend about your publish that you just made a few days in the past?
    Any positive?